Go Gay for Ice Cream!

Ice cream.  We all scream for it, especially in this summer heat wave.  Nothing is better on these 90 degree days than a cold, creamy cone full of awesomeness we call ice cream.  And luckily for anyone with access to a stove, ice cream maker, or even just a store, there is Big Gay Ice Cream by Bryan Petroff and Douglas Quint.

These guys have made ice cream their life and have an uber successful story to share because of it.  Their dream started off more as a lark one summer when they decided to open up their own ice cream truck.  They threw off the dusty imperialism of the corporate ice cream truck world and started their on brand based on solid (okay, okay, soft serve) ice cream and loads of wacky combinations.  Eventually the truck became so successful they opened up their own shop in NYC and now they are one of Anne Burrell's favorite guilty pleasures.

I held on to this book for awhile before reviewing it because I wanted to host an ice cream social for all of my friends.  I eventually gave up on finding a good weekend that worked for everyone so made a batch of Bea Arthur ice cream cones for myself, and man am I glad I didn't wait any longer.

The ice cream is smooth, creamy and amazing.  The dulce de leche is superb and the mixture of Nilla wafers hits the spot.  Now I can't wait to try all of the different flavors of ice cream they have in the book!  If you don't already own an ice cream maker, I suggest you run out and buy one, just for this book.

There are a few topping choices I can't get behind.  I prefer my ice cream and topping sweet with a little salt.  The idea of adding balsamic vinegar or curry is actually kind of repulsive to me, but I applaud them for including innovative recipes for all those with an abstract tongue!

The book is laid out like a school year book.  Awesome photos, stories, and handwritten notes accompany all of the various sections.  For anyone too scared to make their own, Freshman and Jr year start out with easy concepts that allow you to pair store bought ice cream with their concoctions.  This book is all win for me and I am sure it will be for you as well!

I was given a copy of this book for review but the opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pass the Metamuscil

Scrabble, Google and Aussies

Scary Stuff