Love for Appalachia

"Victuals: An Appalachian Journey, with Recipes" by Ronni Lundy is SUCH an amazing cookbook.  It has taken me a long time to write this review as I immediately ran into problems locating the ingredients.  Almost every recipe called for Sorghum Syrup and that is something that we just don't have up here in Seattle.  The other issue was regarding Ramps...something that I still do not quite know what they are, even after having made several recipes from the book but at least there was substitution of sorts provided.

I cannot say if these recipes are accurate representations of Southern Cooking as my entire experience with fried chicken was KFC until I was a pre-teen but I can tell you that these recipes are delicious.  Once you hunt down the Sorghum Syrup (think Amazon), you can accomplish amazing feats.

There are great corn recipes, the infamous Skillet Fried Chicken and a Sweet & Savory Banana Pudding that is to die for.  Combine those amazing tidbits with the great stories and lovely photos interwoven throughout and you have a cookbook that is sure to be right at home in your kitchen.

Disclaimer: I was provided a free copy in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pass the Metamuscil

Scary Stuff

Scrabble, Google and Aussies